Thursday 16 April 2015

Hobbies, GSCs and Rollers

My commute to work is quite long but it goes through some good habitat. Today's gems were a pair of Hobbies. Really fine looking falcons! I watched them chase each other from tree to tree for a short time before one disappeared off into the desert. Thinking the show was over I was just about to drive on when it suddenly reappeared with a clawful of passerine (Blackcap?).



Further on I stopped to take a portrait of one of the four Little Owls I see every day.

On the way home a friend called me to say he'd seen two Great Spotted Cuckoo fledglings being fed by a Hooded Crow. Although GSCs may lay more than one egg in a nest I've never seen more than one juv. at a time. Thanks for the tip, Aviv!

The crow is offering a twig. Really.


(drops twig)

Not impressed.

Bring real food!




I don't know what the crow brought this time but it was more favourably received than the twig.


Rollers have been noticeable by their absence around here - until today. Two on the way to work and four others near Rei'im on the way home. As usual they rarely allow a close approach.

Rollers are quite common summer visitors in this area but I never get tired of their African charm.

No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...