Thursday 9 November 2017

Booted and Greater Spotted Eagles

Really bad luck today - I took the day off work as I had to do some family stuff. I was in Kfar Ruppin when an RBA came through - two Olive-backed Pipits found about 100 m (as the pipit flies) from my desk at Midreshet Ben-Gurion! Ouch. And ouch again.

Anyway, the Kfar Ruppin alfalfa fields held thousands of larks and pipits - an incredible sight. I arrived too late in the morning though and the heat haze made observation rather difficult and identification even more so. Eventually I heard a single Oriental Skylark call but it disappeared into the crop. Avi, who was also there, heard one too. That was more or less it. Some raptors - Long-legged Buzzards, Black Kites, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and great views of Booted Eagles (both phases),

 great landing lights.



and Greater Spotted Eagles.



A taste of the south for me - Namaqua Doves

and Indian Silverbills - apparently common but it's the first time I've seen them there (admittedly, this is only the third time I've been to these fields).

No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...