Wednesday 24 September 2014

Crakes, Rails and Lesser Spotted Eagles

Returned to HaBesor Reservoir this morning to look for autumn crakes. Two minutes at my favourite spot (crakes too) produced a lovely Little Crake.


'Crake Alley' (the little dam) was crake free but had a couple of Water Rails, of which only one showed itself for a photo-op.

Returning back around the edge of the reservoir there were large numbers of Plain Tiger or African Monarch (Danaus chrysippus) butterflies. I'm amazed at bird migration but doubly so when insects do it!

We're at the tail-end of the Lesser-grey Shrike season now - this straggler showing off a truly fearsome bill.



I saw several very distant eagles during the morning  - way too far to identify with certainty until this one popped out of the trees on my way back to the car. Lesser Spotted Eagle!


I'm still using a Canon SX50 for day to day birding/recording and it is supposed to be not so good for birds in flight. I would agree but the eagle shots above are good enough for me. Overall, I feel the limitations of my photos lie with me not the equipment I use. With holidays coming up there's plenty of time to practice!


No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...