Friday 28 October 2016

Greater Spotted and Eastern Imperial Eagles

Three Moustached Warblers, Spotted Crake, Water Rails, Snipe, Bluethroats by the Jackdaw Colony this morning. As I drove off I saw a large eagle trying to find a thermal. Luckily the one it found was right above the track. Greater Spotted Eagle!



As it is eagle season now I took a quick drive the Urim pylons. Not much there yet except for this Eastern Imperial Eagle. [correction: I first identified this as a Steppe Eagle. Barak Granit id'd it as an Eastern Imperial, probably 6th cy.]


I also saw a large falcon on the pylon most favoured by last year's Saker. Perhaps it has returned?

Finally, I stopped off at Besor Reservior to see how it was doing. This Namaqua Dove flew across the track,

and while manoeuvring to get a better angle I saw five others! One on the floor made seven. Perhaps this is the happy result of a successful breeding season.


Here's hoping they become a permanent feature here.

No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...