Wednesday 10 April 2013

Subalpine Warbler

Another exciting morning with the nets at Sde Boker. This morning's gem was a very pretty Subalpine Warbler. This is a fairly rare migrant and one I've never managed to see out of the hand. Today was no exception - I walked down one of the nets, turned around and there it was - caught. I must have passed it by by a matter of centimeters before it flew up in the net. I first thought this individual must be a female (eye-ring and orbital, contrast between nape and back) but conversations with Darren Burns and Elon Gur have cast doubt on this. The current consensus is that this is a 2 cy male. After this breeding season the bird will do a full moult into adult plumage.





Other migrants among the Lesser Whitethroats and Blackcaps included Wryneck, Nightingale, Orphean Warbler and Ortolan.

On the way back home I passed by Yeroham lake. This is a rather under-watched place but turns up rarities time and time again. I didn't find any this time but did see at least four Collared Flycatchers in the pine woods along with a lot of other migrants. I'm always pleased to see Yellow Wagtails and especially so when I come across a mixed flock. This one had about 20 individuals of Feldegg
 and Beema.

As usual, the sky was thick with swifts - mostly Pallid but a few Common too. Hirundines included Barn Swallow and Sand Martin. The reeds held many Reed and Sedge Warblers and a single Squacco Heron. There's a huge amount of interesting habitat at this site and I wish I'd had time to explore it more and at a better time of day.

No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...