Monday 4 March 2013

Hawfinches

A lovely Spring morning today - just finished taking the dog for a walk when I heard an unfamiliar call overhead. Six or so Hawfinches were flying from tree to tree. Unusually for Hawfinch, a couple stayed more-or-less put giving me enough time to get my camera and take a couple of shots.


Trick of the eye - looks like I was almost level with them, not 20 m below.



Also had a look around HaBesor Reservoir this morning. Very, very quiet indeed but very beautiful with the flowers in full bloom. Once again, I heard a call that made me stop. This time it was a gorgeous Little Green Bee-eater. This is a notable sighting for me as this is the furthest North I have ever seen one.



I had a glimpse of a distant Great Spotted Cuckoo but it eluded me. It sang quite close by but I didn't manage to see it again. There was one keeping an eye on the crows (and vice-versa) last year and I was hoping it would return. A couple of hours later though, I was picking up my daughter from school and there, sitting in a tree just by the bus stop was a cracking GSC! It called, raised its tail, raised its crest and then flew into another tree only to be chased out by a pair of crows. Great performance!

No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...