Tuesday 22 November 2011

Long-legged Buzzard, Hen Harrier and Eastern Imperial Eagles

Another superb day for raptors in the Nir Oz fields. After turning up a Marsh Harrier to the west of Nir Oz I returned to home ground. This stunning Long-legged Buzzard circled up in perfect light. A different individual from the one I saw a few days ago.


Continuing on my rounds, I found the Sociable Plovers again, hunkered down between two crop lines and easily overlooked. The Merlin was also there, as were the obligatory Black Kites, Buzzards, Kestrels and Sparrowhawks. The northern fields were awash with larks again. This time I noticed three much larger larks in with a flock of skylarks. As they flew into land I saw the broad white trailing edge of the wings - Calandra larks! Sadly, no photos. The lark flocks were very skittish, presumably because two Hen Harriers were quartering the fields.  


My attention was caught by an adult Eastern Imperial Eagle sitting on top of a distant tree. Very distinctive! It didn't allow for close inspection though and flew off at my approach.

A very different bird from the juvenile, below. 





No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...