Thursday 4 September 2008

Birds in Singapore



On the way back from Australia I stopped over for 24 hours in Singapore - 25th August. These photos were taken at the amazing Sungei Buloh wetland reserve. I've been to Singapore a number of times but this was the first time I'd ventured out of the main tourist drags.


Although I only managed to see about 35 species in the morning I got a tantalising taster of how good birding in Peninsula Malaysia and Singapore must be. I used the eminently pocketable 'Photographic Guide to Birds of Peninsula Malaysia and Singapore' (Davison and Chen Yen Fook. New Holland Publishers, UK). This was a useful guide covering the commoner species and I didn't see anything that wasn't in this book. Recommended.

Photography here was difficult for me as the light seemed exceptionally contrasty and I seemed to be shooting in either deep shade or brilliant, steamy light. No excuses though, I've seen some wonderful photos come out of Singapore so it IS possible.

Below are the best of the crop. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get shots of Banded bay cuckoo being fed by a Common tailorbird, a superb pair of Black-naped orioles in the mangroves, Common iora and many others. . . .



Collared kingfisher (numerous but wary)




Common flameback (no time to wait for a better view - party of schoolkids were approaching and it flew off)




Common tailorbird



Copper-throated sunbird (female)



Crimson sunbird





Milky stork



Olive-backed sunbird



Paddyfield pipit



Pink-necked green pigeon



Redshank (ringed)



Striated (little) heron



White-breasted waterhen



White-vented myna


With thanks to the staff at Sungei Buloh (www.nparks.gov.sg).

No comments:

NW India - 9th to 22nd February 2020 (Kosi River, Corbett NP, Haripur Dam, Pangot, Sattal, Chopta, Walterre)

If you look through the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Grimmett, Inskipp and Inskipp, 2011) you cannot help noticing the huge range of s...